Linda, over at 2nd cup, has her Random Dozen theme meme up again. It's all about Jr. High. Or middle school. I guess it depends on your time era or your part of the country as to what you might call it. Personally, I went to Jr. High in 7th, 8th and 9th grades. Only went to high school for 3 years. I was the last 9th grade class in Jr. High. Then, in all their wisdom, Albuquerque Public schools went to middle school--6th, 7th and 8th grades. Folks: 6th graders don't belong with 8th graders. And 9th graders don't belong with 12th graders. But I digress.
Here we go.....
1. Please share one middle school memory. It can be good, bad, ugly, funny. Pictures or words, I don't care, just share.
Um, at the 9th grade dance I was walking in and it was REALLY REALLY windy. This was my outfit: (Yes, I wanted to be at the dance. No, I did NOT want my mother to take my picture)
My skirt blew up. OVER my head. And completely blinded me. I looked like someone who had a blanket party thrown just for them. There was this really weird, really mature but extra short and very hirsute guy outside the building there that reminded me a lot of a monkey. This kid was probably 14 and had been shaving since age 10. He was the only one there and he saw it happen. He just leered. I totally felt violated. To this day thinking about it still makes me feel all skeevy.
2. What's your favorite Beatles song?
I love me some Beatles. Lots of Beatles. Have the whole collection on my iPod. Lately, let me think...ok!
Um…to sing? "When I’m 64."
3. If I asked you to describe your most comfortable outfit, what would it be?
To wear out, would be my new dress I got at Kohl’s over the weekend. It’s a jersey striped dress with empire waist and cap sleeves (vertical, abstract-y stripes). Feels like pj’s. It was on clearance for $15 and then I had the 30% off coupon. Ka-ching! Inside it would be jammie pants with a tank top.
4. Would you rather host a party or be a guest?
A guest, but very happy to help. My house is little and overcrowded…Unless I could host it somewhere else....
5. Do you think we will move completely from traditional books to digital ones, and if we do, are you OK with that?
Oh, I hope not! I can’t imagine reading until I fall asleep with a Kindle. And what about the smell of a book? And then, what if my batteries run down in the middle? And reading in the tub? No, give me my trashy paperback dime store novels or give me…hardback at least?
6. Do you learn best by reading, listening or experiencing?
Experiencing…or watching. If someone shows me how, I can usually get the hang of it.
7. If you are (or when you were) single, what is the kiss of death for you concerning the opposite sex? (That is, what is one trait or behavior or habit or anything at all that immediately turns you off from considering that person a potential match for you?)
Being unkind to anyone who is not in a position to be unkind back (restaurant server, small kid, furry animal….) That and/or picking his nose and flicking it....ewwww!
8. Snacks. Salty or sweet?
Yes. Salty and then chocolate. I think that salty may be my trigger food that makes me crave chocolate….
9. Look around you in a four foot radius. What object is around you that you didn't realize was there or forgot was there? How long has it been there?
This kind of strange looking blue stuffed shelf sitter dog with a green nose and wobbly neck on a spring. There's a patch on it's belly that says "Too blessed to be stressed." Amy bought it for me about 4 years ago at the retreat.
10. What is your favorite Tom Cruise movie?
Far and Away. Director’s cut. "Pretend you love me." "I pretend I love you." "I pretend I love you, too."
11. You buy a bottle of shampoo and discover that you don't like what it does to your hair at all. What do you do with that full bottle?
FlyLady would put it in her toilet brush bowl and keep her bowl shiny. Me…use it on Claire or give it to my kids. I have 4 kids. SOMEONE is bound to be ok with it.
12. Your favorite Fall comfort food? (Last week it was beverage.)
Cream of Potato Soup. With bacon. And a grilled cheese alongside it.
p.s. Linda is going through a very hard season right now. Please lift her in your prayers.