Honestly, I told myself I wouldn't be blogging this week. It's the last week before the big huge retreat that gives me tics in my eye and ulcers and not enought sleep. But behind me, if you were here, you could hear my trusty Canon ImageRunner cranking out multiple copies of two different booklets, along with their covers. I figure there's at least 30 minutes left on this print job. They will all be stapled tomorrow and loaded up, with the help of a very nice lady. SO...Lidna at 2nd cup of Coffee is doing the Random Dozen blog again, and for what it's worth, here's my take:
1. Tell me something about your favorite teacher.Her name was Betty Askew. She was my 6th grade teacher and she convinced me that I was more capable than I ever believed. Her husband was on a tour of duty in Vietnam and she had the most adorable little 2-year-old boy.
2. Tell me about one pivotal moment in your life.
When my mom died, I was 18. I was 31 when I lost my dad. It was pivotal when I realized that no matter how old you are when your parents die, you feel orphaned.
3. About favorite colors--a lot of people will ask you what it is, but I want to know why it is. What feeling or memory does it evoke?
I have lots of favorites…right now I’m into muted, yet jeweled reds and purples. They make me feel like I’m eating something decadently rich.
4. What's a sure sign that you're getting older?
I think I’m getting arthritis in my hands and wrists…sigh….not good for a typist, someone who signs their name a lot, or a violinist. Maybe it’s just overuse.
5. Please don't sermonize, but Halloween--is it a yes or no for you?
No for the gore and horror, but I love to dress up. Sometimes I think that as Christians, we do a disservice when we disregard, or don’t acknowledge, the evil spirits and principalities that rule this world, but not our home. (stepping down from soap box now)
6. What's your favorite musical?
The Sound of Music.
7. Are you more of a city mouse or country mouse?
Can I be a suburban mouse? I like to be within 30 minutes of eggs that don't have to be gathered and washed and cows that don't have to be milked or butchered, but could be happy for extended periods away from big crowds. But like the country mouse, it’s exciting—nice to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there…
8. Did you know that it is possible, for a small fee, to name a real star after someone? (It's true! Google it!) If someone were to name a star for you, would you appreciate it for its whimsy and romance, or would you say, "Are you kidding me? For $19.95 we could have gone to the movie and actually bought popcorn."
Sadly, I’m all about the practical. Seriously—could you provide meals for the homeless or shoes for a shoeless child for my $19.95? And if not, could you grab me a Starbucks giftcard?
This question comes from Paula at His Ways Are Not Our Ways.
9. What's the craziest thing you've ever been doing and texted during it? I only thought of this b/c I was about to try to text during my walking video but I didn't.
Paula, you do know that this blog is rated G, right?
Um. Wrestling in a Sumo suit? Had to send a picture message. And yes, I won. I am one aggressive momma when put on the offensive side of things…
**DISCLAIMER/EDIT: I wasn't texting during the actual wrestling match. But I had to send a picture of it to Ted...let me assure you, he was SOOOOOOOOO proud. And no, the picture is no longer in my phone.
10. "It's not a party unless _______."
The O’Bryans and the Hoyles have law enforcement involved. And only the O’Bryans and Hoyles will understand this….
11. When you're stuck in traffic or a waiting room, what do you do to pass the time? PS: There are no magazines available.
Nap or text, if there isn’t reading material. But I usually bring whatever book I’m studying or some paperwork if I expect to be delayed somewhere. I’m assuming that I’m stuck in traffic, but not driving myself here. Listen to music if I’m driving, I guess. Or skeevy talk radio trying to get an updated traffic report.
12. If you weren't yourself, would you be friends with you?
Yes. Yes, I would. I love to laugh and I’m generally a pretty funny person.