Time for this week's edition of Random Dozen. I just argued with myself over the placement of that apostrophe. It's way too early for this. Anyway, play along and head on over to 2nd cup and link up. (wow--that rhymes)
1. On an average, how often do you splurge and buy something for yourself? Maybe a couple of times a year. But the thing is, it usually has to be on clearance, and then additional savings off. Last week I gained huge ground and bought a top that was just on sale, not clearance. I don’t have this problem when I buy things for others, just myself.
2. Are you more like Hall or Oates? Just kidding. Real question: What is the last creative project you began/finished? Feel free to post a pic of it. Creative? Like in crafts? Pshaw. I wrote a pretty good article for our church website. Does that count?
3. OK, Goldie Locks, do you consider your house too big, too little or juuuust right? I love my house. But it has 6 people and 3 bedrooms and 1600 sq feet. In the grand scheme of things, I am not complaining. I have more than 90% of the world. But the boys are stacked up like cordwood and for their sake, I wish it were a little bigger.
4. What is your favorite outdoor chore? Planting in the spring—loving the anticipation of what’s to come. Cleaning up beds and containers in the fall—huge sense of instant gratification. Least favorite? Weeding poky weeds or picking up dog flops.
5. If you knew that cigarette smoking was not bad for your health but would be a weight loss tool, would you use it? Why or why not? No No. No. Even if it weren’t bad for me—it stinks. It makes you look old before your time. Turns your teeth and fingers yellow. And not the pretty sunshiny kind. It stains your clothing and burns holes in your carseats. When you kiss someone, they might mistake that for licking an ashtray. It’s just flat out nasty habit. I’d rather be fat. (p.s. both my mom and dad died from health issues directly tied to smoking. I am a rabid anti-smoker. Hate. It.)
6. On a road trip, would you rather drive or ride? Ride. Not a big fan of the driving. But I do like shotgun. Backseats tend to make me queasy. And I love my "Hang-on-to-this-ineffective-handle-above-the-doorjamb-because-it will-save-me handle." We all know how much control you have over the vehicle hanging on to that.
7. What do you consider a trivial pursuit? Farmville. Mafia Wars.
8. This weekend, we downloaded the movie "Duplicity" with Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. Within 5 minutes, I was bored and annoyed, but I kept watching 5-10 minutes at a time hoping it would get better between small chores. I finally gave up and Jorge watched it alone, and then regretted wasting that time because he disliked it intensely, too. So ... how long do you watch a movie or read a book before giving up on it? Usually about 15-30 minutes. I’m embarrassed to say I watched ALL of “Open Water.” That has to be the among the worst movies ever.
9. Is there a song that you really love but are embarrassed to admit because it's not cool or it's racy or because it's by Hall and Oates? Pretty much every single song on The Best of Bread, Side A. Also, "Could it be Magic," by Barry Manilow…
10. On a scale of 1-10 (10 = extremely) how spontaneous are you? It depends. I like to think I’m an 8. But I’m pretty much rigid. I want my lists and my color coded binders. Probably a 3-4. Although, especially lately, I have had a hard time committing to people/things. I want my free time to be…free.
11. Are you a food and/or beverage snob? Not really. I like cheese that comes out of a can, hot dogs and willingly and enthusiastically buy processed stuff. And I don’t care for wine all that much. WAIT! I can’t stand powdered creamer in my coffee. Prefer half-n-half. Milk is #2 and those fake liquid creamers a distant 3rd.
12. Who/What are you trying to control in your life? (I hear people gulping and see them sweating in anticipation of how to answer this one.) I am ashamed that I try to control oh, so much of what God has handled. My kids. Ladies’ Bible study. Where should I exercise more control: watching what I eat and finances (things that affect only ME!)
Stand by for next week's version of "2 Truths and a Lie." It's sure to be a hit.