Anybody got any cheese?

(to go with my Whine, that is...)

I would’ve given him the eleven bucks.

Today I unlocked our church building for a MOPS group and the ladies’ Bible study that I lead each Thursday morning. Most of you know I’m a church secretary. My office is at my home. Our church meets in a strip center. We’re in between a Chinese restaurant and a bar. This was at around 9 a.m., so I’m pretty sure that the guy who walked in all gangsta like, looking to “meet a friend” wasn’t one of their customers. Complete with tattoos and baggies and the side-swung, too-large ball cap. And the neighborhood is…well….bar-ish. When I questioned what he was doing there, he insisted he was meeting a friend. When pressed, he gave me the name, Jennifer. I didn’t really think he was there for MOPS, but felt like I needed to check. I walked back to the room where MOPS was meeting to see if there was a Jennifer there. He was gone when I came back. Another woman and I walked the bldg, checked the restrooms and closets. He was gone. And when I got home and opened up my purse, so was my wallet. My Bible study girls came in around 10 and we locked the door, just because I was left with an uneasy feeling. That was shutting the barn door after the horses got out, apparently. His cash take was a grand total of $11 and change. But he also got all my credit cards, debit cards, insurance cards, driver’s license, Sam’s card, and my Frequent Diner card from Flying Star that had a full dessert stored on it. Sigh. I got all the cards stopped before anything had been charged. I spent about 4 hours on the phone and another hour going thru dumpsters around the shopping strip to see if by chance he’d ditched it. Nada.

Then, this evening, I got home from a worship team rehearsal. I really felt like I had been able to offer a true sacrifice of praise. The Girl had baked triple-fudge brownies while I was gone. I was truly uplifted. And I’d been home approximately 6 minutes when she jumped up from the computer and started bawling. And ran to her daddy’s lap and wept uncontrollably for quite awhile. A friend, a BFF, is moving out of state. Next month. And she’s recently been restricted (by the other family) from seeing much of this friend because of something that has nothing to do with either of the girls. It breaks my heart to see my little girl’s heart broken. This is the THIRD BFF that she’s had move away in the past 3 years. When you’re 14, it seems like it takes forever before you can trust someone with your deepest secrets. And then they up and move away. That’s hard.

So I’m heading off to bed. After I drain the bubbles and blow out the candles from the tub I ran for The Girl. I plan to be at the MVD as soon as they open the doors in the morning. I’m looking for a better day tomorrow.


Comments

Ballerina Girl said…
I hope today is much better for you and the girl!
It is hard to move away...my kids go through it every few years...and in between they have their friends leave, too... it is tough for sure.
I hope that your wallet somehow turns up somewhere...at least with the card with the sundae on it ;)
BG
Kelly said…
Boo. I'm so sorry. Really bad day. Keep hanging in there.

And call the police if you haven't. Just because.
Oh, I love this song. It helps me work out the sadness. I'm so sorry for all that has happened to you and your family in this post. I'm so glad you were not hurt in the process of the theft. I'm so glad your girl has you to help her through this and understands her hurt. Blessings on you.
Lisa Smith said…
So sorry to hear about the bad day...I've been the girl that moves at 14...I can still feel the pain...stink! I'm praying for you and your girl.

PS I saw the words "hand crafted" and am refusing to read or comment in the last post...My kids would have to do the crafting ;)

Popular posts from this blog

THAT kind of neighbor, Toilets, Accidental Brunette-dness and the RD

Random Dozen October 7

S-kating along plus another Random Dozen